Norfolk & Suffolk 4X4 Response

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Discussion forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Flood and snow Standby
(0 viewing) 
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Flood and snow Standby
SarahB
Needs to get out more
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Flood and snow Standby 8 Months, 1 Week ago  
Members are on standby for flooding and snow from 1900 11th January through to 1200 15th January. Please respond to SMS text with availability.

Sarah Berwick
Group Secretary and Emergency Controller
M6 XUD
The administrator has disabled public write access.
hugh g6wjw
New Boarder
graphgraph
Re: Flood and snow Standby 8 Months, 1 Week ago  
Currently on late shift midday to 9.00pm back home. Available weekend.Hugh hutton

nytrowrush
New Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Flood and snow Standby 8 Months, 1 Week ago  
Hi all. Danny asked me to add a quick piece about the current East Anglian tidal surge ongoing at the moment. Many of you will know I'm one of the 6 flood warning duty offices covering Norfolk Suffolk and Essex. I was going to post this last night but as of 10pm I started my duty shift and ended up continuously issuing flood warnings for 9 hours, some 60plus!!!!! For this evenings tide cycle (Friday 13/01/17 7pm to midnight)

A quick summary on this mornings tide starting at 7am at wells through to mid afternoon in Southend. Despite the mountain of Flood Alerts, warnings and severe flood warnings the actual high water didn't make any of the flood level thresholds. Many will be surprised at this however it's worth pointing out that the event is being driven by the wind as oppose to high/low pressure systems. As a result it only needs a small reduction in wind strength or wind direction to make a big difference to the actual final tide levels.

As for this evenings tides starting at wells at around 7pm and running through to clacton around midnight. There is alot more confidence that this will come is as expected. When I left work at 7am this morning I had issued 12 flood alerts, 37 flood warnings and 12 severe flood warnings. I full expect this to increase as Gold control meeting take place and more precautionary warnings are put in place.

So what will actually happen, who knows it's very much a wait and see. But it will be a big tide. It will be very windy and there will be some very angry seas and I expect some wave and sea spray overtopping. I'm back in tonight at 10pm and will endevour to give an update as and when I can.

Two things to add

First BE SAFE the prep work will all be in place, the tide will pass, and any damage / flooding can be managed once it has passed. Do not think you can "play" with the North Sea, you will lose! If you do feel the need to watch the high water tonight do it from a safe exitable location. Don't let the rescuer become the victim!

And second. I've only just woken up and already seen some negative press about what a waste of time it was evacuating, "what tide", the EA and emergency services are crying wolf again!
The EA doesn't issue these warnings without just cause. We are trying to predict the weather which is not easy. The current mantra of the government and emergency services is "think big, act early" so if you are deployed to sit at a fire station, coastal location of rest centre and feel like it's a bit of a waste of time, please don't. The fact that we are being asked to assist is quite significant, and while you may feel your not actually doing anything you are the face of our group and are building links with profession services for the future. Knowing what I know, if I wasn't working I'd be putting my name forward to be deployed where ever needed.

Sorry it's a bit of a wordy post. Haven't been awake long!!!! Will update the group as and when I here anything. Oh and could I ask if we can keep my comment within the 4x4 group as sometimes the official message is different to the actual, LOL!!!!

Be safe out there and keep up the good work

Laters all Chris

Chris Finbow
M6CCF
Phil
Admin
graphgraph
Gender: Male longfieldbarn Location: Beccles, Suffolk Birthday: 05/16
Quite an important statement in Chris's post:
"The fact that we are being asked to assist is quite significant, and while you may feel your not actually doing anything you are the face of our group and are building links with professional services for the future."
Having our members sat alongside Fire & Rescue as a part of their team at the sharp end is something that would have been unthinkable just a few years ago.

Cruiser 90 3.4 VX SXR
Lexus RX300 SE-L
M6PSG Phil Griffith
Adam Bester
Been here a while
graphgraph
Wholely agree with everything said. This is a big step forward for us!

Part of my job role in BT is being involved with national incidents that affect the broadband network (severe weather, power outages etc) and we take a very similar approach. We dispatch engineers, spare parts and other resources across the country if there is the potential for things to go bad. More often than not they are not needed, but it's better that we are ready just in case, than getting caught out.

Adam Bester M6UDD
1981 Land Rover Series III LWB Truck Cab
2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 HSE
Phil
Admin
graphgraph
Gender: Male longfieldbarn Location: Beccles, Suffolk Birthday: 05/16
We sat in for Sarah yesterday whilst she was at work, with Derinda running control.
15 members attended 14 potential flood related deployments, 12 for SFRS and 2 for VSC via Red Cross.
Very little to report as currently known, the main highlights being eating pizzas and Sally Army food, together with long periods of boredom.
However, an excellent day in that we were out on the ground ready if needed.
Thanks to all those who attended, as well as those on standby in case needed.
Control was handed back to Sarah early this morning.

Cruiser 90 3.4 VX SXR
Lexus RX300 SE-L
M6PSG Phil Griffith
PaulCC
Not so new Boarder
graphgraph
The point made by Chris is spot on; working for Network Rail I am used to being always in the wrong, we plan for ages to do work on Bank Holidays and then some self promoting 'B' list, so called celeb, says that they were planning to see Aunt Marge that weekend and NR are all idiots.
Also the closer we can get to the full time services the better, whilst we had nothing to do at Beccles last night the guys there were appreciative of the fact that we are volunteers and willing to give up our time and of course it gives us chance to talk to them about 4x4 Response and what we do.
Keep up the good work.
Q

Paul Cumbers M6PCC
No one needs a 4x4 - until someone needs a 4x4!
Go to topPage: 1

JoomlaWatch Stats 1.2.9 by Matej Koval